Learning The Alphabet
This is the very first language lesson of every child. It should involve every teaching method: audio, visual and tactile.
- Begin with a video or personal demonstration of the alphabet symbols and their corresponding phonetic sound.
- Teach the class the traditional alphabet song.
- Reinforce lesson with the use of flash cards, going through the entire alphabet, prompting the class to repeat the phonetic sound with each letter.
- Distribute worksheets with the alphabet symbol paired with a picture of an object whose first sound corresponds with the phonetic sound of the letter.
- Engage students in a flashcard alphabet game that reinforces letter recognition and phonics mastery, such as:
- Alphabet Race – Scramble cards and have children race to see who finish first in arranging the cards in order then sound out the corresponding phonetical sound for each letter.
- Flashcard Scrabble – Have students sound out three letter words and create them with flashcards.
- Flashcard Art – Give each student a flashcard and ask them to draw a picture of something that begins with the phonetic sound of that letter.
Previously: Tips for teaching TEFL to Children