Teach English on a Paradise Island!
Have you wanted to visit the paradise islands of the Maldives for a long time, but often wondered how you would ever afford it? Perhaps you’ve always wanted to make a difference in someone else’s life? Well, you could combine the two wishes and have them granted at the same time – by teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL).
At TEFL UK, we are well placed to help you with the qualifications you need in order to teach in Malé – the capital city of the Maldives. Immersing yourself into the Maldives culture and history, that goes back over 2500 years, Malé is well-known for it’s colourful buildings, mosque and distinctive golden dome.
With approximately half-a-million people living on the island of Malé, there are plenty of opportunities available to teach English as a foreign language – whilst enjoying the 2,700 hours of sun a year. Malé is situated in the Arabian Sea of the Indian Ocean in South East Asia – approximately 700 km from Asia’s mainland.
Famous for its collection of tiny, beautiful islands and crystal blue bath-warm waters, you could be calling Maldives your home – whilst teaching youngsters English, and opening up infinite possibilities for them.
So, what qualifications would you need to teach in the sun?
TEFL teaching requirements
As set out in the laws of the Republic of Maldives, schools are allowed to employ teachers:
- Who have TEFL / TESOL / CELTA certificate / qualifications
- Hold a bachelor’s degree
- Preferred teaching experience
- A native English speaker
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm working with young learners
You can currently secure primary and pre-primary TEFL teaching opportunities on the beautiful island of the Maldives – one of the world’s most lovely destinations. In your new role, you can expect to:
- Work closely with pre-primary and primary level learners
- 30 hours a week maximum teaching schedule
- Assess student progress on an ongoing basis and helping them to prepare for regular English tests
- Inspire and motivate the youngsters to achieve their own potential and meet all educational and learning needs
- Organise the classroom, planning lessons and working closely with other teachers at the school
- Regularly liaise with local teachers in developing the English education curriculum
If you don’t currently have a TEFL qualification, then you can find the course which is most suited to you here. With courses ranging from 120 Hour Professional TEFL qualification to the 240 Hour Combined TEFL, you are sure to find the course that’s best for you. Our courses offer tips on lesson planning, theory and classroom practice to testing and practical instructions on how to inspire your students – everything that you can think of to help make a difference!
And when undertaking this opportunity of a lifetime, you can expect a wealth of benefits, including:
- You will be picked up at the airport when you arrive
- You will be provided with free accommodation
- Orientation and training on arrival in the Maldives
- One-year fixed contract
- Salary of $700 per month
- Annual leave of 30 days
- Assistance to set up a local bank account for your salary to be paid into
- Local medical insurance
- Free air ticket so you can travel back to your home town (only provided on completion of contract)
If this sounds like your idea of paradise, then all you need to do is contact TEFL UK to find the right TEFL course for you. Just fill out our online form, email us [email protected] or give us a call on 0800 368 9848 and we’ll be happy to help.
Previously: Curriculum: To buy or not to buy?