Teach English in Shanghai with Explore China Program
Explore China helps you learn about China's beautiful culture and gain international teaching experience.
Put your TEFL to work and teach in China!
- GAIN REAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE - as you teach young Chinese learners, mainly 4 - 16 year olds
- CONNECT WITH YOUR STUDENTS - you will form lasting bonds as you help your students gain confidence in using English
- SHARE YOUR CULTURE - your students will be excited to learn about where you come from
- SUPPORT WHEN YOU NEED IT - 24/7 experienced, local support team allowing for peace of mind during your time in China
- HAPPY COMMUNITY - enjoy teaching through a well established program with continuous training, teaching tips and social events
Explore China gets you to the heart of Chinese culture and helps you develop your teaching skills
This program is designed for TEFL graduates, gap year students or recent university graduates with a passion for exploration, meeting new people and learning new skills.
All you need is an open mind and the time to commit to a one semester TEFL teaching placement at one of our carefully selected host schools.
You can enjoy some great benefits
- RMB 5,000 monthly living allowance (enough for a comfortable lifestyle in China)
- Free accommodation through the internship
- RMB 2,000 flight bonus on program completion
- Letter of recommendation
- Tour of Shanghai
- Visa guidance
- Airport meet & greet
- Assistance setting up a local bank account
- Start any month
Teaching in China and how it works
Your journey to teaching in China could not be easier!
Take part in a full orientation in Shanghai and meet the local team
Train with the professional staff trainer in preparation for interviews and demos which are required by most schools
After interview / demo, you will be matched with a school
Receive ongoing training, professional feedback and support throughout your placement
Program eligibility requirements
- Fluent English speaker
- No previous teaching experience necessary
- TEFL certificate (if you don't have TEFL, you can still apply and get the TEFL later)
- Positive attitude and willing to engage with a new culture
- No degree required
Program dates for teaching English in China
You can arrive in Shanghai any month as applications are ongoing throughout the year.
- Intakes every month
- Your program would be for 5 months from whichever month you choose to arrive
The 5 months really flies by, and I think this is an opportunity not to be missed if you would like to gain new work experience, and have a great time in a foreign country.
Teach in China FAQs
You need to arrive into Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) and from there will be met for airport pick up and transfer to orientation.
After the 5 day orientation, you will be provided with onward transfer to your host town or city. Transportation costs are included for the transfer. A representative from the school will meet you on arrival to your host town / city.
There is usually one intern per school. However, this program has a large network of interns and so you will meet lots of other people during orientation. There are also regular social events and meet ups along with an extensive expat community in most of the placement areas.
You will receive RMB¥5,000 monthly allowance. This amount is paid either in cash or by wire transfer to your Chinese bank account. You are paid on 15th of each month.
The vast majority of students would be young learners and so typically would be 4 - 12 years of age.
It is certainly possible to request placement together with a friend. However, as this is a popular program, we recommend that those wishing to travel and be placed with friends / partners apply early! The Admissions team will do their best to accommodate your requests.
There are both urban and provincial placement opportunities throughout central and southern China. The three main areas are Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. You can indicate a placement preference when you apply and positions will be assigned on a first come first served basis.
Accommodation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVYtqxvrS6o) is provided rent-free throughout the entirety of your stay on the internship. The housing is either a shared or single apartment. If the apartment is shared with other interns, you would have your own single room with shared living space.
You need to keep the following extras in mind when you are budgeting for your trip to China:
Doctor’s note - confirming you are fit to travel to China
Criminal record check
Comprehensive travel insurance - we can provide you with a quote for this if you wish
Flights to China
Enough money to cover your first 5 - 7 weeks in China before you receive your monthly allowance
It should be fine to book a one-way ticket to China. It is worth noting that you would have a 6 month visa and so there are plenty of travel possibilities after the internship finishes!