Teaching English in Costa Rica with TEFL Internship
Support social change and participate in a quality cultural exchange program endorsed by the Ministry of Education for Costa Rica.
Volunteer teachers are needed in Costa Rica
We are searching for socially minded volunteers to come and contribute to this valuable Ministry of Education backed initiative. The mission of this program is to promote English Language education and inspire young people in Costa Rica.
Supported by the Costa Rican Government's Department of Labor, this program assists young and underprivileged Costa Ricans in gaining the necessary English language skills to further their future careers and life prospects.
You can teach in Costa Rica for four months and learn about this beautiful country with its welcoming culture and relaxed way of life.
You would typically teach 4 days per week (Mon - Thu) with Friday's used for lesson prep for the next week of classes. There is no teaching on Friday. Also, weekends are free so you will have plenty of chance to explore this amazing country.
Benefits for volunteering in Costa Rica
Meet and greetAirport meet and greet from San Jose Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO)
Orientation4 day orientation on arrival, includes host family accommodation
TransportOnward transport provided from San Jose to your host town / city
AccommodationPrivate room accommodation with host family throughout your stay in Costa Rica
Meals3 meals daily provided by host family (breakfast, lunch, evening meal)
LaundryLaundry service access
Visa supportSupport for obtaining the Volunteer visa
24/724/7 in country support from on-site program coordinators
MaterialsAll teaching materials provided to you meaning minimal prep time
Flight bonusUSD$500 flight bonus paid on program completion
What is the cost for this program?
This is an NGO project and as such a small administration fee is required. This fee goes towards funding program organization and logistical costs.
- Option A one off £250 administration fee covering all arrangements and your visa support.
- Option B one off £399 administration fee covering the above and also including a Level 5 170 hour combined TEFL (CELTA equivalent) qualification. As part of your TEFL training, you would complete a 20 hour Teaching Practicum in Costa Rica. You can use this TEFL certificate to teach in other countries on program completion.
Entry requirements for volunteering in Costa Rica
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- TEFL or CELTA - you can still apply with this qualification pending
- Teaching experience is a preference
- Community minded and keen to support social change
- Current proof of no criminal record
- Some Spanish language ability advantageous
- 21 - 65 years old (due to visa regulations)
- Passport of UK, IRE, USA, CAN, NZ, SA or AUS (due to visa regulations)
- Commitment to a 4 month placement in Costa Rica