Teach in Spain
About teaching in Spain
Are you thinking of enhancing your career overseas?
We are now recruiting for a prestigious English programme in Spain which has seen over 1800 alumni successfully take part since the initiative was launched in 2009.
CAPS (Conversation Assistant Programme for Schools) is a programme designed to place committed, young, dynamic and creative native English speakers in a Spanish school for 25 classroom hours per week as a Conversation Assistant (CA).
Your role will be to increase student exposure to the English language and build confidence by facilitating English conversation practice.
How does teaching in Spain work?
You will enjoy making a positive contribution in one or more of the following education settings:
- Primary school
- Seconday school
- A Level
- Technical school
Students generally range from 3 to 18 years old.
Benefits of teaching in Spain
- Monthly student grant of 465€ (CAPS PLUS Programme) & host family accommodation
- Support and feedback from your assigned tutor / mentor and program head office
- Access to Spanish public health care system
- Free travel insurance for non EU citizens
- All details of your placement pre-arranged and agreed with you before arrival
One of the main benefits of choosing this programme is that each CA lives with a volunteer host family.
By living with locals rather than other travellers, the CA receives an authentic first-hand cultural experience. If a CA really wants to give the most of themselves by spending time with the family, this is reciprocated, and it is usual that the CA forms strong bonds that continue after the programme has finished and for many years to come.
Schedule, dates & regions
The teaching week runs from Monday to Friday with 25 classroom hours required per week.
The programme lasts for one school year.
Arrive: October / Immediate 2017
Finish: End May / June 2018
Recruitment is ongoing and so you can apply now to join the process for a possible entry into the programme.
The primary regions are Catalonia & Valencia. If applying for an immediate start, flexibility on location preference is desired.
Your teaching duties
- Assist main teacher with classroom duties and share your culture
- Facilitate group and pair work with students
- Assist with language related tasks such as pronunciation or sentence stucture
- Help with other subjects that are taught in English such as Science, Art, IT etc.
- Assist with preparation of teaching and exam materials
- Provide language assistance with the host family by showing your own culture for a brilliant cultural exchange
Additional tasks (dependent on programme):
- Speaking (conversation practice) with teachers - CAPS PLUS
- Constructive hours dedicated to host family - CAPS PLUS
- Speaking (conversation practice) with teachers + reinforcing English language structure - CAPS PLUS
- After-school activities - CAPS PLUS
Why this experience is so exciting
- GAIN CLASSROOM EXPERIENCE within a professional environment and hone your teaching skills
- LIVE AS A LOCAL and gain a unique insight into Spanish culture
- LEARN THE LOCAL LANGUAGE - this immersive opportunity will provide you an excellent opportunity to learn the local tongue
- ENHANCE YOUR RESUME and show future employers that you are not afraid to get out of your comfort zone, take on new challenges and live in a different culture
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE with all the satisfaction that comes from helping others learn a new important skill
Requirements for TEFL jobs in Spain
Please take note of the following pre-selection requirements:
- Bachelors degree
- Native English speaker
- Must be enthusiastic about working with children
- Adaptable and open to new challenges
- Age between 18 and 30
- Hold a clean criminal record
- Proven experience working with children in an educational environment
Register your interest below to teach English in Spain and we will get right back to you!